Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions - Mold Testing Springfield Missouri
Mold has been around since the beginning of time. It floats in the air like pollen. It has become an issue in recent history due to modern construction materials and practices. Today our homes are built to be energy efficient, so they don’t experience air exchanges like homes used to in the past. The ideal environment for mold growth occurs when air is trapped in a home and water is available for the mold, especially in areas with high humidity. Mold is a growing and living micro-organism that feeds on the material it touches. When mold is visible to the naked eye, there is a VERY large colony of mold spores feeding off that area.

Today, builders often use materials like sheetrock, instead of lath and plaster. Sheetrock contains paper material, which is an ideal food source for mold. Mold’s job in the ecosystem is to break down organic material like leaves and trees, so when mold starts eating the paper off of the sheetrock, it is simply doing its job.

The problem is not just that mold can be eating away at your home, but breathing too many mold spores can be harmful to your health. Molds can be allergens, toxigens, pathogens, and some molds can even produce mycotoxins—which can be detrimental to your home environment. Mold may be useful in nature, but there is no place for it in your home

The EPA does not recommend bleach. Bleach is very caustic, and if mixed with any material that contains ammonia, it can create a toxic gas. Though it may appear that bleach has eliminated the mold, more often than not, the mold will grow back. Mold’s root structure (hyphae) actually grows into wood and drywall. Water can penetrate the construction materials, but the ion structure of the bleach can prevent it from penetrating the host and not killing the roots. In other words, bleach can mask a much larger problem.
No. We need to figure out why the mold is there in the first place. If we get rid of the mold but don’t change the conditions that led to its growth, the mold will just grow back.
Again, a big part of our job is determining why there is mold in the first place. If we eliminate the conditions conducive to its growth, then when we eliminate the mold, it will stay gone.
Molds can be allergens, pathogens, toxigens, and may produce mycotoxins, which can lead to a host of health problems. In addition, the odor of mold may attract termites.
No. When someone says “black mold” they’re usually talking about stachybotrys. Since it has been given a lot of attention from the press, people tend to assume that it is the only mold that can be harmful, which is far from the truth.
Save your money. Typically, a mold testing kit will only tell you that there are mold spores present. We already know that mold spores are present. They’re similar to pollen. The spores travel through the air, so using test kits just tell you the obvious. The EPA does not recommend mold testing kits.
Absolutely! If you’re going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a home, it would be wise to invest a little money to find out if there are any mold concerns before you buy. If mold is detected before you buy, more than likely the seller will pay for the treatment. If you don’t find out until after you move in, it is going to be much more difficult (if not impossible) to get the seller to pay, which means you will pay for it yourself. A small inspection fee could truly save you thousands of dollars.
An inspection of your entire home (interior and exterior) by our certified mold inspector is only $150 for homes under 3,000 square feet and $200 from homes over 3,000 square feet. A written report and bid for remediation is included. If professional treatment is needed, and you use OUR company, we will deduct the inspection fee from the cost of the treatment. If you have an obvious mold issue that requires professional treatment and all you want is a bid, we will gladly give you a verbal bid for FREE!